Open Positions: Communications Director
For over 15 years, NLC has offered local, progressive change makers place-based training and a national network of support - propelling our alumni on trajectories that are creating the country we aspire to be.
Anchored by its six-month inclusive training program, the NLC Institute, our programs equip proximate leaders with the skills and networks to make political and social change rooted in equity. We recruit and trust those closest to the problems to know and lead the best solutions for their community. NLC leaders take their activism back into their communities and workplaces, whether they run for office, manage advocacy campaigns, or create start-ups and nonprofits.
NLC has nearly 50 chapters across the country, with 9,000 alumni and nearly 1,000 current Fellows. The NLC community is a reflection of the rising generation of leadership - 71 percent of the 2021 NLC Fellows self-identify as BlPOC, 68 percent are women and gender non-conforming, and 31 percent report identifying as LGBTQI*.
2021 will be an exciting year for NLC as we complete the final stages of a strategic planning and rebranding process, in addition to launching an alumni portal and volunteer support platform. NLC is seeking a Communications Director who thrives in a small team. The ideal candidate is comfortable being a one-person shop and has a passion for both execution and strategy. They have superb writing skills, specifically with navigating complex messaging paradigms that incorporate and support multiple progressives voices and perspectives across a national network. Applications will only be accepted via the online application survey, which is due no later than March 29, 2021. Early submission is strongly encouraged as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Communications Director will report to the President & CEO and partner with senior staff to execute and drive NLC’s communication strategy and lead NLC’s message development across the organization.
- Create, test, and promote NLC’s messaging and talking points, from general organizational messaging, to responses on trending topics and current progressive issues
- Collaborate with the Program and Development teams to support NLC’s storytelling strategy and promotion with special attention to Chapters and alumni success stories
- Develop national and local messaging strategies and policies aligned with NLC’s strategic plan and that clarify NLC’s perspective on cultural and political affairs
Digital Marketing & Database Management
- Manage NLC‘s presence on the organization’s website, social media channels, , and other strategic platform
- Curate and draft the national organization’s social and digital content, including creating copy and design and executing engagement strategy
- Manage NLC’s email content strategy and work collaboratively with staff to support database management and list segmentation, using WordPress as the CMS, NGP as the CRM, and Digital Cheetah as the alumni portal and volunteer management platform.
- Track and report on marketing and social media performance metrics, including ROI, reach, and audience growth
- Analyze metrics from content campaigns and social media advertising activations, ensuring that ongoing and future efforts are optimized and ladder up to overall strategies
- Continually monitor for relevant trends in the digital space, as well as social media and influencer marketing opportunities
Chapter Communications Support
- Provide support services for Chapter communications initiatives, from website updates, to social media strategy, to branding support
- Develop and promote easy-to-use tools for NLC Chapters to leverage NLC marketing and social media campaigns
- Train, support, and guide NLC Chapters to maximize marketing efforts that amplify NLC’s brand identity locally
- Partner with local chapters and like-minded organizations to leverage influencers and promote audience growth
Branding & Marketing
- In collaboration with senior staff and consultants, develop and direct NLC’s brand identity and provide guidance for message consistency across the organization
- Manage consultants and graphic designers to implement NLC’s branding and communication strategy as needed
- Craft branding resources that support the organization’s mission and operations such as recruitment, fund development, and alumni engagement
- Maintain NLC’s style guide and provide resources for NLC Chapters to implement to NLC’s branding and marking standards and policies at the local level
Public Relations Messaging & Press
- Work with media and consultants to cultivate traditional and non-traditional media opportunities
- As needed, develop press kits and tools to leverage earned media at the national and chapter level
- Promote press strategy, utilizing op-eds and earned media
Key Qualifications, Experience, and Skills
- 5+ years of communication and marketing experience
- 3+ years of staff, consultant, and/or volunteer management experience
- Expert level proficiency using data and content management software, specific experience with WordPress (CMS), NGP (CRM), and Digital Cheetah (alumni portal/ volunteer management platform) is desired
- Proficient in graphic design and video editing
- A proven track record of high cultural humility and a deep understanding of current progressive issues, including a minimum of 3+ years experience working with organizations that center equity and inclusion
- Creative and collaborative approach to strategy development and implementation
- Ability to thrive with tenacity and humor in a fast-paced, nimble nonprofit, while operating in a remote work environment
- Familiarity with federated organizational structure, consisting of national staff and local volunteers, is desired
- Demonstrated commitment to public service, with an enthusiasm for NLC’s mission to recruit, train, and promote the next generation of proximate change makers
- Excellent written, interpersonal, and verbal communication skills
Salary, Benefits & Location
- Salary will be commensurate with experience.e current salary band for the position is $65,000 - $80,000
- Generous leave policy, including all federal holidays, four weeks paid leave (including the last week of December), sick leave, and a progressive parental leave policy
- Health, vision, and dental care
- Remote / Work from home
Application & Deadline
In an effort to expedite the hiring process, please complete the application survey, which includes uploading your resume, cover letter, and a writing sample. The cover letter should include how you are connected to NLC, and why you are passionate about our mission and the role. Please directly upload a writing sample and do not include a link to a website with multiple samples. Ideally, we would like to review a writing sample that reflects the type of writing you would do in this role, which can include an email, news release, or brand journalism piece.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and early submission is strongly recommended. The last date to apply is March 29, 2021. New Leaders Council is an equal opportunity employer and proudly values diversity among its leadership. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.